Wednesday 1 June 2011

Bikini Bleurgh


"Bond girls follow a fairly well-developed pattern of beauty. They possess splendid figures and tend to dress in a slightly masculine, assertive fashion, with few pieces of jewelery and that in a masculine cut, wide leather belts, and square-toed leather shoes. They often sport light though noticeable sun-tans, and they generally use little or no makeup and no fingernail or toenail polish, also wearing their nails short." —O.F. Snelling, author of Double O Seven, James Bond, A Report.


Now according to that description people, I don't have too much to worry about. OK.."splendid figure" might be pushing it and I loathe wearing shoes on holiday but I never bother painting my toes or fingernails as I have the co-ordination of a blind toddler and I suppose my holiday clothes are a bit masculine and square cut, though I am a fan of the sun dress and especially the kaftan by the pool. I've even got the light tan covered.

Have to say, not entirely sure Kate is working the Bond girl look here..
The one issue that presents itself summer over summer is the bikini problem. Bond girls don't appear to have issues with this (albeit that might be because they have a mammoth hair and make-up department at their disposal and probably had a personal trainer for a few months) but I'm going to go on a group holiday and I feel I should invest in a new one. Gulp. Psychologically one has to pick the right moment to bikini shop. Get it wrong and you'll feel like a whale squeezing into a tube of smarties, get it right and you're essentially Hedi Klum.  Also I resent spending a large amount of money on something that'll get seen for about three weeks of the year MAX. On top of all of this, I am petite but top heavy, this rules out buying any sets and limits me to separates.  Grrrr.


In character..very Bond
Still looking pretty fab...even in real life
Am I alone in my bikini hell or do you struggle as well? I have no problem buying my clothes online (thank you ASOS and net-a-porter) but for some reason I don't want to buy my bikinis in cyberspace. I really need to try them on.  Where should I go?  My sole comfort is that really, once one is actually on holiday does it matter so much? Any help gratefully received.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Emily,
    I have just been through this hell myself - really for the first time as I am normally a swimming costume kind of girl, but felt I should finally be a grown up and wear a bikini on holiday.
    After lots of wandering around Oxford Street feeling that all bikinis were totally hideous and/or teensy weensy, I looked online and found La Senza. I went into their shop today and bought one! I mixed and matched a top and bottom to create a totally vintage nautical look (red stripy top, blue bottoms). I'm slightly worried I might end up looking like the American flag, but I'm going with it.
    They do bra sizes for their tops, and only sell separates. They also have the option of more "shorts-style" bottoms in many styles for the more self-conscious. Maybe you'll find one there?
    We MUST do lunch some time.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your comment, will defo be chekcing that out this week and puh-lease let's do lunch. I'll email!x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my waffle. Every single comment is appreciated x