Friday 1 October 2010

Star Wars style

You know when you have been frantically running around and it all gets a little too much then something happens that just makes you, stop, sigh, reflect and take a couple of well earned moments for yourself? That is how I felt when I saw Gareth Pugh's Spring/ Summer ready to wear for 2011.  It was so clean and calm and space age.

On Wednesday afternoon the fashion pack were invited into Pugh's cyber world - via a digital fashion film presentation, shown in Paris on a giant screen at the Parc de Bercy sports stadium.  Directed by Ruth Hogben and featuring model Kristen McMenamy, a heartbeat style of soundtrack set the scene for the film which went on to introduce the designer’s razor-sharp tailoring with articulated armour-like tops, chiffon capes in chequerboard prints and Samurai-style looks.  There was an animatronic quality with McMenamy being seen to dissolve in a cloud of smoke and reappear in celestial rainbow lights.

“It was very graphic and beautiful using mirror imaging and lots of masterful morphing techniques,” said Vogue’s Harriet Quick.  Tim Blanks from Style.com said "What Hogben's film highlighted was the fluidity and movement inherent in Pugh's clothing. A runway could never have done that—nor could the lookbook images that were circulated after the screening."

Fans of Pugh can now watch the film on SHOWstudio.com AND now we can also get in on a piece of the designer’s spring/summer 2011 action as SHOWstudio.com’s shop has launched an exclusive scarf featuring the key monochrome graphic print from the collection.




 

I must say I think 'ready-to-wear' can be a misnomer in terms of, "could we pull it off the catwalk and start wearing it there and then?" but there were certainly a few pieces that caught my eye. I LOVED the silver dress at the end (last picture) and the fabulous structured jackets...ooh and the all black ensemble as well actually.  As you can see, I've included a couple of pictures of the men's outfits, but frankly if The Boy turned up wearing this I might ask if he'd finally got round to watching the original Star Wars trilogy (how can someone have avoided this?!) and found inspiration from the Imperial Officer's uniform..also could the topknots be a reference to Princess Leia's famous hairdo, juts relocated to the top of the head? Let me know if your thoughts, may the force be with you.  
Compare with picture 10...Grey? tick, structure? tick, asymmetrical jacket? tick.
UPDATE!! Sorry my pictures are all over the place.  I have lost my battle with HTML it seems.  Also this just made me laugh..I have boobs too and I would totally let Karl strap 'em down if he gave me a dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my waffle. Every single comment is appreciated x